Friday, June 03, 2005

I'm back!

You never realize how much you rely on your cable company until they are taken away. It nearly killed me to go almost a week without watching any of a game on tv or reading the news online. The closest I got to seeing a game was earlier in the week when I picked up a package at a Ruby Tuesdays while at work and they had the game on. I actually had to buy newspapers to follow what was going on and find out the scores. I felt like I was in the 1920's or something! But I am back with cable tv in three different rooms and with my computer in the office and the girlfriend's laptop, I can have internet access in any room I want!

For now, just a couple things.

The only baseball I really got a chance to see was the Pawtucket/Norfolk game that I went to on Monday. The Paw Sox are on fire, especially against the International League South division leaders, the Norfolk Tides. The Sox are riding a five game winning streak and they just plain pounded the Tides on Monday winning 12-2. It was my first look at Adam Stern who went 2-5 in the game with 3 RBI's. My friend and I joked that now that he's making his rehab from the DL, he's going to have to have an "injury" again if the Sox want to keep him around. Sure enough, the next day I hear reports that Stern tweaked his hamstring. I don't know if it's an actual injury or some Rule 5 rule bending, but it's going to take a lot of creativity if the Sox want to keep him around all year, especially since there's really no room for the guy on the big league club. The biggest news of the night was the manager/third base coach for Pawtucket. It was very un-Sveum like when Ron Johnson actually held runners up at third and didn't run the team out of rallies. As my friend Kellen screamed out, that guy needs to be promoted to Boston.

Yesterday's game was a great game to see as my first game back in the cable world. What else can you say except for the fact that David Ortiz is frickin' amazing. Out of all the moves that Theo Epstein has ever made from the trading for Byung-Hyun Kim to the Thanksgiving dinner with Curt Schilling, the Ortiz signing was, in my opinion, his best move. The game was almost lost by Keith Foulke, but it was another example where the boxscore looked worse than the actual game. His command was a little lacking, but the only mistake he made was one walk. The hit to lead off the inning was a soft rolling ball that Kevin Youkilis made a really good play on, but David Newhan beat it out by half a step. A steal and a bunt later and Newhan stood on third. Miguel Tejada was walked intentionally so now Foulke looks like he has allowed a walk and a hit when in fact the walk was intentional and the hit was pretty weak. Foulke then made his only mistake by walking Sammy Sosa to load the bases. Rafael Palmeiro was next up and hit what could have been an inning ending double play ball, but he just beat out the throw at first allowing Newhan to score on a fielder's choice. Small ball nearly won the game for the Orioles before Ortiz showed them that the Sox don't need no stink' small ball to win games although Edgar Renteria did lay down a perfect bunt for a base hit. So Foulke's boxscore line looked bad and he continued his struggles, but last night was mostly just a case of bad luck and good baseball strategy.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?