Monday, May 02, 2005

Olerud signs

The MVP/Cy Young packs are starting to separate itself from the herd and the season's great players are starting to distinguish themselves. Brian Roberts continues to amaze the league and lead the bunch and I can honestly say that he's starting to piss me off. On the one hand, I was pretty high on him before the year started. I didn't realize exactly how huge he'd be, but this year he was a great late round fantasy option at second base so I picked him up. And I do like having him support the rest of my struggling team. What I don't like is the fact that he's starting to turn the Orioles into a team that people have to actually seriously look at. While it's still very likely that the O's are going to fall off after such a hot start, it's still tough to ignore just how good they've been. There are some Sox fans out there that say when they look at the standings they eliminate the other three teams and right now just see the Sox as being 3 games ahead of the Yankees. They pretend like nothing else matters. I can't stand that attitude. Sure, it's very likely that the Red Sox and Yankees will fight it out for 1 and 2, but this is baseball. Anything can happen. Maybe the O's have a 1 in 50 shot of actually competing all year, but there's still that 1 chance. If the Rangers could make a run at the playoffs last year and the Royals could make a run the year before, absolutely anything can happen. It's not a smart move to count out any team, especially the team with baseball's second best record.

Rather than talk about the beating Detroit just gave the team, let's talk a bit about John Olerud. As we've all heard already, the Sox picked up the veteran gold glover. I've seen every response to this move from elation to disgust, but I have a pretty indifferent attitude to the deal. Yeah, I'm very glad that it means the end of the Dave McCarty era in Boston, but in general it's not going to be a huge impact signing. If he's healthy, he'll be able to help the club a little with his glove and he'll be able to get on base every now and then. But in the big scheme of things, it's not a major move.

I'll be in Pawtucket tomorrow to see Wade Miller on the mound. It's been a while since I've been to a Paw Sox game and I'm looking forward to it. Especially since this year I'm starting to get more and more into the prospects game. The biggest thing I'm looking forward to though is obviously Miller himself. We really need this guy to come back strong.

Comments:
The Orioles are just like last year's Rangers. An offense that scores a lot of runs, a nice bullpen, and a very underwhelming starting rotation that still has a couple solid bright spots. Barring injuries they should be right there all season, but will probably be on the outside looking in. That's assuming the Sox and Yankees play ball like they can.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?