Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Clement

I was wide awake last night when I started watching the 8th inning of last night's game and the Sox were down 5-3. I blink and the next thing you know it's the 9th, Keith Foulke is on the mound, and the Sox are up 7-5. I guess I was a little bit more tired than I thought and I missed the most exciting inning of the game. I'm getting old if I can't even stay up late enough to see the ending of a west coast game!

The good news for the Sox is that Foulke put in a very solid inning, striking out two, for the save. The bad news for the Sox was that Matt Clement was in serious jepardy of losing for the first time this year before Edgar Renteria bailed him out. What should Sox fans think about Matt Clement? I'm going to weasle out of the work of actually writing something and link you to two different views of the guy.

Mark Normandin over at Beyond the Boxscore believes that Clement is a better pitcher than he has been in previous years and believes he can keep it up. Evan Brunell at Firebrand of the AL does his best to dash our hopes about Clement saying that he likely won't keep up the pace that he's set so far. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but despite his poor outing last night I think I have to side with Marc on this one. I've been a big fan of Clement since day one. He's not an ace of a staff, but he is a very solid number two guy that I'm glad to have on my team and I think he'll do fine.

In other news...it could be good or bad depending on how you look at it...David Wells goes this afternoon. Wells, now sporting the mustacheless goatee, will come off the DL and take the mound. Perhaps he'll perform better this time around? Unsurprisingly, Cla Meredith was sent down to make room for the big guy. Meredith will now try his hand at AAA after a very dissapointing time in the majors.

http://beyondtheboxscore.com/story/2005/5/16/115644/788

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?