Monday, April 04, 2005

What a way to start the season

Thanks to two of my alcoholic prick roommates staying up until 7am and the clock moving ahead an hour I got almost no sleep on Saturday night so I was going into the game already very tired. With the game doing nothing to hold the intrest of a Red Sox fan I actually slept on and off from the sixth inning on. Luckily I didn't miss much. David Wells"> carried his spring training struggles over into the regular season earning the loss in the Opening Day game. Besides Jason Varitek's three hit night there was nothing for Red Sox fans to get exited about. Edgar Renteria looked bad in the field. The bullpen led by Matt Mantei and newcomer Blaine Neal was hideously inneffective. Mark Bellhorn is on pace for 486 strikeouts.

With all that said, there is really very little to worry about. I had almost forgot how much I sometimes hate sports talk radio. Driving home from the girlfriend's house after the game I heard incredibly stupid comments ranging from "David Wells threw the game" to "the Yankees are far far superior to the Red Sox this season". But if anyone comes to me with a doom and gloom outlook on the season I swear I will beat them. That was 1 game out of 162 and while it was one of the uglier games the Sox have played, there's not much to worry about.

The one thing I am worried about? David Wells. I didn't hate the signing when it happened. I figured that he could be a solid #3 guy and give us 200 quality innings. Thanks to his horrid spring performance and now this, I'm starting to worry. It's definatley possible that he's about to turn things around and go back to being solid, but I'm doubting that more and more by the day. The good news is that it doesn't really matter how bad he sucks, he'll still be a step up from Derek Lowe.

In a bit of good news, the Yankees pitching staff is already falling apart. Kevin Brown's back will have him missing some time to begin the season. There's no mention about how long he could be out, but from the sound of it he should only miss a few starts. But then again this is Kevin Brown we're talking about. The guy has been a walking injury for the last four or five years. Ya know, I had thought about starting a Yankee rotation injury pool. The rules were going to be simple. Pick the Yankee pitcher to go down and pick the date that he goes down. I nixxed the idea because I don't want to turn this into a place of Yankee hating. But I really didn't think that an injury would come before the season even started!

In a bit of news that doesn't pertain to the Sox at all, Alex Sanchez?!?! steroids!??! Damn...never would've guessed that one. Four homers in 1351 career at bats and .364 career SLG aren't the numbers I'd expect to see next to the name of a guy that tests positive for steroids.

Comments:
I agree it's tempting to predict Yankee pitcher injuries, but with us relying pretty haevily on an already-injured 38 yr-old, a hefty 41 yr-old, and 38 yr-old (but youthfully mustachio'ed) Alan Embree, we aren't exactly walking on the thickest ice ourselves.

damn, did I just jinx the Sox?
 
I hated the Wells signing then and I still hate it. He's making it real hard to warm up to him.

I agree, I'm not ready to call the season yet either. They weren't going to win them all, I didn't think they'd win with the pitching matchup, I think they'll win tomorrow, and they lost opening day last year and spotted the Yankees the first 3 games in a 7 game series. No worries.

Finally, if it's not too much trouble, could you add Bonderman and Grienke to your Cy Young tracker? They're both better than some of the guys you have up there.
 
etg, our pitching staff is just as old, but I think theirs is more injury prone. Wells is 75 years old and 300 pounds, but he's gone at least 29 starts in 9 out of the last 10 years. And Schilling is already feeling 100% after the surgery, so I'm not worried about his ankle. Miller is our starter who will miss the most time witih injry, but we're expecting that.

On the other hand Johnson is a ticking time bomb. It's only a matter of time before one of his knees blow. ANd Kevin Brown, already on the DL, is a walking injury.
 
Kellen, I have no problem signing the guy that has said how much he hates Boston and no problem signing a fat drunk (he'll fit right in) If her performs I'll like the guy.

I've heard plenty of guys making excuses for him. It was cold, he couldn't grip the ball, he wasn't used to Yankee Stadium booing him, his DIPS numbers were great...I've almost started to fool myself into believing them! So he might turn things around.

As for Bonderman and Greinke, I'll likely do that on Sunday. I know Bonderman, at least, will be there. I odn't really want to get in the habit of updating that all the time. It would drive me nuts if I tried to update that thing daily!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?