Sunday, April 24, 2005

Back from Camden

Baltimore has one hell of a stadium, but that's about all they have going for them. The city itself was a mugging waiting to happen, we all know about the team and their hopes for third place, and I think I might have came across three actual Orioles fans.

The stadium was beautiful. I've always heard that you can't make a case for keeping Fenway if you haven't seen what a modern stadium is like. I've always been a supporter of keeping Fenway, but seeing Camden definately tipped my scales in the other direction. The seating was great. Plenty or room and there wasn't a single concrete beam blocking a seat in the place. The whole thing was just really nice to look at and I'd make another trip to see a ballgame there any time. Even the surrounding area was nice. The Inner Harbor area, a couple of blocks from the stadium, is a really nice place filled with tons of stuff to do. There are museums, stores, restaraunts, bars, and boat rentals all surrounding the harbor. The rest of the city? Well, if you visit, don't go out alone. We apparently stayed in the really nice section of the city. That basically meant that the drug dealers and muggers had the courtisy to wait until dark before doing their business unlike the rest of the city which was really sketchy 24/7. I now believe it when I hear that Baltimore/DC has the highest crime rate in the nation.

I almost felt bad for the Orioles. Almost. No matter what way you looked in Baltimore, you'd see a Red Sox fan. I think I might have seen three Oriole hats the entire time I was there, but the Sox hats were too numerous to count. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if I went to Fenway and heard an Orioles chant. But sure enough the "LET'S GO RED SOX" chants were louder than anything the O's fans could get going. It had to be at least 60% Sox fans, 20% O's fans, and 20% people who didn't know what the hell was going on. Even if you were able to find an Oriole's fan you couldn't even give tickets away to them. We had a couple extra tickets that a Baltimore friend of ours tried to unload and she couldn't even give them away. Do you realize that if you get a value meal at a Wendy's in Baltimore, they give you a free Orioles ticket??? The city has a brand new, beautiful stadium and they can't even get a decent showing at a game.

I never thought a trip centered around baseball would leave me so far behind in the baseball happenings. I saw the games on Wednesday and Thursday, but I haven't been able to post here, haven't been able to surf the web for baseball news, and the only way I knew what was going on was with the box scores in the paper the next day. So it's going to take me a few days to catch up here.

Comments:
Boy, you really trashed my hometown. I think you've bought into "Homicide" and "The Wire" a bit too much. And since when did Boston become such a utopia?

I think of Boston and think of race riots and white guys murdering their pregnant wives and dumping them in the Charles River.

And Boston is where there's not a single teenaged boy that a Catholic priest didn't like.

As for the O's....they've had seven straight losing seasons which accounts for the drop in attendance. Fortunately, Baltimore doesn't go 86 years bewteen championships so one can expect things to turn around eventually....and not next century.

And aren't the BoSox looking up at Baltimore in the standings right now?

And at least the Orioles can beat Tampa Bay.

I hope Boston keeps Fenway. Old, cramped and uncomfortable. Red Sox fans are known as being long-suffering. Why quit now?
 
Hey, I just called it like I saw it. It just looked like a really trashy place. You can walk through Boston without fearing for your life. You gonna go for a stroll through Baltimore at night?

As for the standings...come back to comment after 162 games are done. You know as well as I do that their best case scenario is third place. And it's going to be a very long time before they actually can compete. They have no farm system and don't know how to manage the payroll that they do have.
 
I know all the poor black people in Baltimore must seem very frightening to a sheltered Rhode Islander like yourself. And let's face it, that's why Baltimore scares you. If you knew anything about this town, you'd know that the majority of murders and crime happen within small select area and if you're not involved in the drug trade, you're in all likeyhood quite safe. But please, keep being scared. We don't need an influx of people like you turning Baltimore into an over-priced, over-rated, soulless, gentrified, bland, segregated Boston. I bet you even lock your doors when you drive through Roxbury. You know how "those people" are. Hahahaha...sucker.
 
So you actually think Baltimore is a nice place, eh? Maybe I just missed every inch of the niceness when I went through it. I don't give a damn about skin color and it's not like I came across a lot of black people anyways. Baltimore just looked liked a really really shitty, run down town. Hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe behind all the trashy building, yardless houses, and graffiti covered walls there's a garden of Eden. But personally I think the place sucked.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?